A 10 Minute Pre-Trip Checkup Can Save The Family Vacation!
Last month we saved you $100 by testing your gas cap. Now, you should be getting ready for your annual family vacation.
It is difficult enough to be paying $4 per gallon for gas, but do you know what can be even more expensive? Having to pay for car repairs in the middle of the drive to your vacation paradise! Consider the unplanned out-of-pocket expense; the lost vacation time sitting around while the car is being repaired; the wear and tear of mental stress; of being behind schedule; not to mention...
- "What do you mean I can't change my reservation? I have to pay for a night in Podunk that I didn't plan for AND you are still charging me for a room in Orlando that I am not using?"
It is especially aggravating when many of these breakdowns could have been avoided with a simple mechanical inspection. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration; each year, neglected maintenance leads to more than 2,600 deaths, nearly 100,000 disabling injuries and more than $2 billion in lost wages, medical expenses and property damage.
Three suggestions for a 10-minute pre-trip checklist:
1) Check all fluids. There are several fluids that require attention: engine oil, power steering, brake and transmission fluids, windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
2) Check hoses and belts. A belt that fails can affect the electrical system, air conditioning and power steering, as well as the cooling system. Cooling system hoses may be deteriorating from within, so old hoses and clamps in marginal condition might need to be replaced.
3) Check the tires. Check tire inflation and inspect the tread. Uneven wear indicates the need for a wheel alignment. Also look for bulges and bald spots.
The most recent Roadside Vehicle Inspection Program from the Car Care Council shows the following items are the most common vehicle systems that need attention:
- 54 percent had low tire pressure.
- 38 percent of cars had low or dirty engine oil.
- 28 percent had inadequate cooling protection.
- 19 percent needed new belts.
- 16 percent had dirty air filters.
- 10 percent had low or contaminated brake fluid.
Looking for ways to take the sting out of auto repair? Tuffy offers a variety of payment options. See your local Tuffy Auto Service Center store manager for details.
Click Here to receive more automotive maintenance e-alerts. Courtesy of FOX Toledo.